Tuesday 16 October 2012

Chat With The Katenga Entertainment Honcho, Cartel



Cartel Kenya, the President of Katenga Entertainment, is a man who has worked his way from infancy to being a heavyweight in the Kenyan music scene. The energy filled Katenga music is taking over our airwaves and the clubs making Cartel a force to reckon with. Charlene Kimara caught up with the Katenga Entertainment honcho and this is what he had to say.

When did you start music?

I started to rap while I was at Aquinas High School, Nairobi. At the time I used to rap along to Poxi Presha who was a great influence to my musical art. However, I ventured into Music professionally in 2007. I went to Maji Maji 4-Play Records and recorded my first two songs Ma Yellow Yellow and Pressure.
 
How did you end up owning your own recording house from being an artist at 4-Play records?

It was really difficult getting my footing into the industry. I felt like a new born alone in a desert. Ma Yellow Yellow received a lukewarm reception however; Pressure gave me my much desired break.

I joined Kamata Entertainment in late 2008, where I recorded the hit song `Inakubambia Wapi`. This song peaked on the charts very fast and it solidified my position in the game.
 
In 2010, I opened up Katenga Entertainment. I did this because I wanted to be my own boss. The path at the beginning was very thorny but I always felt that ``If others can do it, why not me? ``

Who is your biggest influence in music?

As I said before I started off by rapping along to Poxi Presha`s Otonglo Time and songs like Jaluo Jeuri. I was also influenced by 50 Cent. This was at a time that 50 Cent was the MVP in the rap game. I loved his musical style while at the same time admired his entrepreneurial skills.

If you were to do a collaboration with any artist, who would it be?

In the local music scene, I would love to work with Nyota Ndogo or Susanna Owiyo.  Internationally, D.J Cleo of South Africa.

Any words for upcoming talent?

Get your own style. Be UNIQUE.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment